Saturday, September 26, 2009

Oktoberfest



We had a very low key Oktoberfest dinner on Saturday; the menu was

Soft pretzels
Pork sausages, cabbage braised with apples, and mustard
Rice pudding with applesauce

The pretzels were my favourite part of the meal, food bloggers seemed to agree that Alton Brown's recipe was the best. It's a simple bread recipe very similar to a pizza dough with the addition of butter. Folding the pretzels is the most time consuming part; I found it easiest to use both hands to squeeze out the dough, one hand following the other until I had a fairly even length of dough about 50 cm long, then folded them following this tutorial. I made 12 hand sized pretzels from this quantity of dough. I only had 1/6 cup of bicarb left, this seemed to be enough for the water bath

They took about 17 minutes to bake in my recalcitrant but correct temperature conventional oven; at this point the bottoms were quite brown, but the tops were not quite as photogenically golden as I would have liked; if there is enough bread flour left I may have to experiment some more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!! photos of the pretzels!

they look good!!!!

they have a very delicious savoury doughnut here deepfried in coconut oil!

Also had mini roasted turnips dipped in chilli paste and then in dessicated cocounut YUM! apparently it is a regional (sth Sri Lanka) delicacy!

Will see if i can get a recipie off the owner of the restaurant that i rent the house off who also has a foot fetish. Maybe he will swap it if i let him rub my feet! hahaha

Was invited to give alms (food for the monks) there was apparently 14 different vegetarian curries declined due to the foot fetish thing - not quite sure how to take it! I think he should pay me to look at my feet! sure if he liked boobs i wouldnt just hang them out there for him to see!

Ok that is all!

I like all the photos on the blog!!!!!!!!!!

Pumpkin-eater said...

I would love the recipe, it's a shame turnips are sold so big in Australia, they're much more delicious small.

You should have gone for curries, he could have just admired your feet from a distance!