Saturday, October 31, 2009

October Leftovers






October is a great month for garage sales in Canberra. The Willow ware collection is swelling and it's probably best we just don't talk about the accumulation of French preserving jars. In the kitchen, October was a cookbook month, although all the recipes for bunmania were sourced online. Otherwise:

*google directed me to Gordon Ramsay's caramelised bananas and rum which I made to accompany some hotcakes (can't comment on his hotcakes as I used a different recipe). I did something a bit wrong as my caramel also contained delicious chunks of toffee, definitely worth revisiting when there are too many bananas and another mysterious bottle of rum appears in the pantry.

Since I'm tracking my cookbook use for collection management reasons (hey, I live with an archivist!), I made seventeen recipes from twelve different cookbooks
*A Heritage of Indian Cooking: Brinjal and tomato curry
*Cocina de la Familia: Chicken and chickpea soup, crispy chicken tacos
*Fat: Petit sale
*Goose Fat & Garlic: Cassoulet
*Ladies a Plate: Banana cake, ginger crunch
*Land of Plenty: Ants climbing a tree
*Maggie's Orchard: French-style nectarine tart (for the rough puff pastry)
*My Bombay Kitchen: Channa ni dar
*Soul Food: Deep dish apple pie, Aunt Peacie's double pie crust
*The Food of India: Pork with capsicum and potatoes, kheema matar, aloo gobi
*The Korean Table: Seasoned bean sprouts (kong namul)
*Wild fermentation: Ginger beer (starter, beer next month if all goes well)

No comments: