Monday, November 30, 2009

November Leftovers



In November I used these recipes from the internet

*Simmered black beans, a recipe that I have at least six times since it was published in March, I really should have memorised it by now.
*I recently bought some vanilla beans from Spice West on ebay, which seems to be the cheapest way to get them. I used some beans to make vanilla extract using this method, but used half the alcohol and twice the beans. It smells fantastic after four weeks, I probably won't wait eight weeks to use it.
*I finally got around to trying Peter Reinhart's Napoletana pizza dough recipe. The pizza bases made with this recipe were awesome and the long cold fermentation makes a lot of sense during the warmer months.
*I wanted to add something a but different to the lunchbox fruit loaf rotation, coconut-pineapple loaf cake from Martha Stewart looked good. I made mine with yoghurt and a 400g tin of crushed pineapple, it's very nice, but the crumbly texture lends itself more to a cake than a loaf.



From the cookbooks; 20 recipes from 13 cookbooks

Artisan Baking: Royal Crown's fennel taralli
Cooking in Spain: Spinach omelette
Food of Indonesia: Ayam taliwang, acar mentimun
Ladies a Plate: Ginger crunch, Mrs Mackie's moist and spicy fruit loaf
Land of Plenty: Pot sticker dumplings with chicken stock
Little Vietnam: Barbecued pork balls, papaya salad
New Flavours of the Lebanese Kitchen: Kafta mikli,  green bean pilaf (madfounet al loubieh wa roz bi-zeit)
South East Asian Food: Malay satay, nasi impit
Thai Food: Gai yang
The Classic Italian Cookbook: Pasta, pesto
The Perfect Scoop:Strawberry-rhubarb sorbet, banana sorbet
The San Francisco Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market Cookbook: Rustic rhubarb scone cake

No comments: