Thursday, December 31, 2009

December Leftovers


Roasted sweet potato salad

Cooking in December was unpredictable, these are the recipes I made from the internet:

*I made Spanish-style grilled fish using whole whiting. It was good, but not notably Spanish.

*To accompany our Jamaican barbecue we had a roasted sweet potato salad based loosely on this recipe from Mark Bittman. I roasted the sweet potato on the barbecue sprinkled with some chilli flakes and raw sugar, once cooked I left them to cool. I added a can of drained and washed kidney beans, some diced red onion, young rocket and some finely sliced radish. The salad was dressed with olive oil, lemon juice and seasoned with salt and black pepper. It was really tasty and made a great accompaniment to the jerk chicken.

*The glaze for the Christmas ham and the rub for the South Carolina barbecue. Both of these were very successful.

I only made 11 recipes from 8 cookbooks this month:

A Heritage of Indian Cooking: Brinjal and tomato curry, murgh palak
Food for the Vegetarian: Lentils and rice pilaf
Jerk from Jamaica: Jerk marinade, jerk chicken
Kitchen: Whitebean salad
My Bombay Kitchen: Everyday dal
Sri Lankan Flavours: Beetroot curry
The Food of India: Saag bhaji, chana masala
The Perfect Scoop: Buttercrunch toffee

No comments: