Thursday, October 1, 2009

September Leftovers

Two weeks in the US means I had two cooking free weeks during September. I did manage to cook these internet recipes over the rest of the month:

*This recipe from the New York Times served as starting point for a brunch. I sautéed my beet greens in unsalted butter in which I had let a shallot soften, in a second pan I browned some diced bacon, then mixed the two and served it on rye toast with eggs over easy.

*Soft pretzels, delicious, I blogged about them earlier.

*I made these apple and cinnamon hotcakes for another brunch, I used a tasty but not especially juicy mix of pink lady and sundowner apples, the apples could have used a bit more sugar and water to make more of a syrup. I left the batter to rest and the cast iron pan to warm up for 15 minutes while I went and got ice cream, which meant perfect non-stick hotcakes.

*Rice pudding for Oktoberfest, I think 150 grams of rice to 1 Litre milk is the magic ratio for rice pudding.

As well as thirteen recipes from five cookbooks
*Fat: Salt pork, ghee
*hsa ba: Tamarind pork, cauliflower & coriander, butter & lentil rice
*New Flavours of the Lebanese Table: Cabbage salad, aubergine dip, fried cauliflower, tahihi sauce
*The Border Cookbook: Mexican red rice
*The Cook's Companion: Falafel, Angie's lemon cake, baked beans

No comments: